Monday 16 December 2013

My top ten UF reads in 2013

Here’s a brief recap of my favourite UF books this year. It hasn’t been a terribly prolific year of reading for me. Ever since I began writing, I haven’t had as much time for reading as I’d like. I had managed to read more than ten UF books, however, and picking ten among them was relatively easy.

It’s easiest to present them in alphabetical order. None of the books stand out as particularly great and putting the rest in any order would be impossible. That’s mostly because I only read the latest additions to series I was already following. Some sequels were the best the series had to offer so far, some less so. The latter were left out of the list.

Jim Butcher: Cold Days
I had really waited for this book to find out how Butcher would bring Harry from the realm of the dead. The book didn’t disappoint, even though the changes in the Dresden universe in his absence weren’t entirely to my liking. A good book, but I haven’t waited for the next one with quite the same excitement.

Karen Chance: Fury’s Kiss
The third book on the Dorina Basarab series was the best so far. The previous books were slightly confusing and Dorina wasn’t always a character I’d root for, but in this book she came to her own. I’m really waiting for the next book.

Karen Chance: Tempt the Stars
The Cassandra Palmer series had a new book out this year. Like always, it was a great romp across the dimensions and time. The romance between Cassandra and Pritkin finally took off too. Sort off. And, again, a cliff-hanger that left me eager to read the next book.

Eoin Colfer: Artemis Fowl and the Last Guardian
This was the final book in a great series. And I think it was the best so far. A very fitting ending.

Larissa Ione: Rogue Rider
This was the last book in the Lords of Deliverance series. It wasn’t the best UF I’ve read, but it was the best book in the series. It pulled off the impossible task of preventing the end of the world admirably and managed to turn the villain of the series into a romantic hero.


Darynda Jones: Fifth Grave past the Light
I actually read both this and the previous book, Fourth Grave beneath My Feet, and liked them both. I chose the latter for the list simply because it was slightly better. It opened the universe to a new direction and was the first book in the series so far that didn’t see Charley almost dead at the end.

Diana Rowland: Touch of the Demon
This fifth book in the series took it in a whole different direction – and dimension. I’m not entirely sure it qualifies as UF at this point, but I included it anyway, as the series takes place on earth otherwise. A great book with many twists and turns that kept the reader guessing.

Nalini Singh: Heart of Obsidian
Not the only book in the Psy/Changeling series I’ve read this year – or the only book by Miss Singh. But it was one of my favourites in the series, and definitely much better than the previous book, Tangle of Need. I liked the romance, loved the hero, and can’t wait to find out how the continuing story arc develops.


J.R. Ward: Lover at Last
I really waited for this book that would finally bring to conclusion the love story between Qhuinn and Blay. I’ve written more about the book on this blog earlier, so suffice to say, it was a great book that nonetheless left me slightly disappointed.

J.R.Ward: Rapture
I don’t like the Fallen Angels series as much as I like the Black Dagger Brotherhood, but Rapture was a great book and I think it's the best in the series so far. However, despite the cliff-hanger, I haven’t rushed in to read the next book that came out recently.

Bonus book:

Tom Pollock: The City’s Son
I haven’t finished reading this book yet, but half-way through, I can tell that it’s by far the best UF book I’ve read the whole year so I didn’t want to leave it out. Read it if you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment