Monday 2 September 2013

Aches and pains

Today’s post is necessarily short. The reason: my shoulder is killing me.

Not the keyboard in question; with a gratuituous cat.
I got a new computer and keyboard last week. While both are great and much needed, there is a drawback. With a new keyboard comes a new work position for my hands. The old one was an ergonomic keyboard curved in one way; the new one is an ergonomic keyboard curved in another way. And my body disapproves.

A writer’s life is full of ergonomic pitfalls. We spend much too much time sitting down in static positions. It causes all sorts of physiological problems. Poor circulation to lower limbs, back pains, achy shoulders and a stiff neck. This time round, my entire left arm from neck to fingertips is on fire. Stretching and resting offer only a temporary respite.

My right arm, on the other … hand ... is doing fine. I’m therefore confident that the left arm will follow the programme and adjust. Until then, I have to write in shorter intervals and rest my arm more often. Which isn’t that bad, come to think of it.

Here’s a link to a post by Jane Friedman where she lists exercises and other helpful things to get over back pains. Hopefully my arm recovers soon, because I have a book to finish. If you have good advice to share, exercises that have worked for you, please do so in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment