Tuesday 3 July 2012

Think of a plot. Any plot.

It’s already July and the book I thought I would publish this month isn’t halfway finished yet. I know I said I had it written already, but when I started revising it, I did it more thoroughly than I intended. Meaning, I have pretty much rewritten the thing. Now, midway through, I’m struggling to steer the plot towards the original story, wavering between writing everything anew and sticking to my publishing schedule. The month is still young, you might say, but this is actually the month my husband starts his summer vacation and I can’t spend it by the computer, now can I. So I would like to finish the manuscript before that.

I would be more worried if this hadn’t happened to me before. Getting stuck in the middle of the book, that is. Looking for inspiration, I got help from a wonderful comic strip I read every day, Get Fuzzy by Darby Conley. It didn’t make me have a breakthrough with my own plot, but it made me realise others struggle with the same problem too. Even if it is just a small, fuzzy cat. Enjoy.


If you would like to see the strip in its original context, here is the link: Get Fuzzy

No comments:

Post a Comment