Friday 8 June 2012

Starting anew


Now that my book is out there, I feel like resting on my non-existing laurels for a few days. I have successfully pulled off a project and have no need to rush into a next one. The summer weather has improved and I have a couple of things I need to see to first.

Nevertheless, I’m starting to feel the pull of my next book. It’s there, somewhere at the back of my head – or where ever these things are actually located – reminding me of its existence. A writer’s life is about always starting something new. There is always a new book to write, a new chapter to start, new characters to meet and new plots to – well – plot. It’s exciting and somewhat daunting too. Will I be able to write something interesting, or will I just stare at the computer monitor for days, the constantly blinking cursor the only sign of life on a blank page?

This time though, I have already written the manuscript, I just need to work on it. It will be more like meeting old friends I haven’t seen for a while. I’m happy to see them, but I’m a bit worried too. Have they changed much? Have I changed? What if we don’t like each other anymore?

Then again, if that happens, there always is that other option open for writers. Starting afresh.

No comments:

Post a Comment